Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Movie Review: Inception
Inception
The easiest way to explain this movie: The entire crowd watching the movie was holding their breath up until the last frame. Literally. We were all gasping for air after.
Brief Synopsis (with some spoilers):
DiCaprio specializes in dream security. In some future, people can break into your sleep, manipulate you during your dream to reveal deeply secret information. We learn that this is usually done as corporate espionage. However, someone approaches DiCaprio to not steal an idea, but plant an idea in someone's mind (called Inception) that will be considered original and acted upon, which is considered impossible. If the Inception works, our main character gets to go see his kids, since he is wanted in the USA. (Why? I won't tell you)
Critique:
Finally an original idea; not another sequel, book/comic spin off meant only to generate money. The movie had a really good pace that draws you into the movie, literally making you forget what time it is. You just want to see what happens next.
In the movie you learn how dreams can be manipulated, but also that there are natural defenses to others prying into those dreams. What a cool concept. But, Christopher Nolan doesn't dwell too long on the dynamics of this new universe; rather teaches you enough to understand what can happen in dreams and then you see it done, plus some. Due to some creative story telling, you are kept abreast of whether you are in reality or a dream . . . at least most of the time.
Inception weaves 2 plot lines into an interwoven tangle that you have no idea how you are getting out of, or even if they will be resolved in time. Both of which you are intrigued by and constantly wonder how the one will affect the other.
Is the movie perfect? For me, it nearly was. Obviously the team assembled to perform the Inception is large enough that some of the characters you don't get to know very well. So you may lack concern for their well being. Another slight disappointment was the reason for trying to perform Inception: prevent a monopoly on the energy market. While this makes sense as corporate espionage and greed, I was hoping for something with some more substance or back story. However, despite a lack of depth as to the reason, you get sucked into the movie and the plot and almost forget what the purpose is, other than our hero needs to accomplish it in order to see his family.
I want to see it again and see what I missed on the first go around. I left pinching myself: finally I saw a movie that made me excited to be in the theater.
Will I buy the DVD? Yes. And I will force anyone who comes to my house who hasn't seen it to watch it.
Should you go to the theater?: This is a movie I wouldn't mind seeing multiple times in the theater.
Rating: 95% (out of 100)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nice review. I also liked this one. Interesting concept that was nicely executed.
ReplyDeleteSo, remember how I didn't want to see this movie when you got a group together? That's because I thought that Inception was the movie that's actually called Splice. I couldn't figure out why so many people wanted to see it... now I know.
ReplyDelete