Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Movie Review: Robin Hood

As you all know, I love to go to movies.  So I figured, why not give a brief critique of these movies.  Most likely, some of you won't like how I rate these movies, or you will disagree; but you can't please everyone.  I hope that these are some enjoyable posts.



ROBIN HOOD

The easiest way to explain this movie is this: Gladiator with bows and arrows, with a bit more humor.


Brief Synopsis (with some spoilers):
Robin Hood (Russell Crowe) is on his way back to England after the crusades.  King Richard "the Lionheart" is leading them across Europe pillaging every castle along the way, since the crown is broke.  The director quickly establishes the grittiness of the movie with these battle scenes; he also sets the tone for a Robin Hood (Robin Longstride) that has to deal with some hard times.  After the death of the King, Robin returns to England posing as Sir Robert Loxley (who has died) and takes over the Loxley household and land.  This position of power puts him in a strong position to help England in a time of invasion and intrigue.

Critique:
This movie doesn't quite follow history (obvisouly, considering that Robin Hood isn't based solidly on fact), but I mean that Richard the I was not coming back from the Crusades when he died.  But rather died after having already returned, while laying siege to a city in France. But that is neither here nor there, but part of me is bugged when a director decides to fabricate part of history that doesn't need fabrication.  Yes, Richard died by an arrow during a siege, but couldn't you have just done it correctly?  Was Robin Hood actually fighting for the Magna Carta? (Come on)

If you are looking for a happy-go-lucky Robin Hood with his Merry Men, well, at least his men are merry.  He is rather melancholy, but at least there is some humor running through Robin.  Part of me was afraid that he was going to be jaded and stubborn.

During the movie, you don't really feel that there is a difference between Crowe's character in Gladiator (Maximus) and Robin Hood.  Just different weapons and a different time period, oh and a different accent.  Even the flow of the film feels similar (but hey, it is the same director).  One of the hardest parts to keep track of is the location of each scene.  You jump from London, to France, back to somehwere else in England, to the King of France somwhere, etc., etc.  Eventually I just stopped caring.

I did like the battle scenes.  And most of the acting was pretty solid.  The villain also plays his role quite well.  Overall the plot line was fun to watch and see how it developed; I kept asking myself how Robin Hood was really going to get involved with the problems of England and become an outlaw.

Will I buy the DVD?  No.  It was good to watch just once.

Should you go to the theater?: I figure that it is a good summer flick.  Easy to just sit back and lose yourself for an hour.  You won't walk out thinking that it was an amazing movie, but good escapism.

Rating: 75% (out of 100)

1 comment:

  1. You left out the most important part: the person you watched this movie with is awesome! Same with Inception---but that doesn't really count since we didn't really watch it together.

    I knew the Last Airbender looked lame---thanks for verifying that for me.

    Inception was good, but I still don't really understand what happened. I need to go see it again.

    ReplyDelete