Sunday, May 15, 2011

DSME Shipyard - April 15


I figured I needed to get out and take some pictures of the DSME shipyard and show you how immense this place is.  Even though I live outside one of the gates to the yard, it is still a 15 minute commute; part of that is because we only go 15 kmh (9 mph).  The yard covers about 1.6 square miles (~1070 acres).  I probably have a 1 mile drive from my office to our management building near the main entrance of the yard.


Luckily there are  a lot of hills and mountains in Korea and you can usually find a decent vantage point for pictures.  This pagoda is actually on top of a hill overlooking DSME and where I took some photos and put them into a panorama.  I then climbed down to bank of the harbor where DSME is.

 This is a view of the shipyard from the pagoda (not zoomed in).  On the far left you will see a semi-submersible drill ship (it looks like it has 4 huge pillars).  Where that dock ends as it approaches the hills in the back is where my office is located.

 A closer view

This view has the end of the shipyard on the left (and the part where I live, and the city of Okpo on the right.

 Some of the pictures I used to make that panorama, I am including here as they are better quality.

 All of those barges you see in the pictures are similar to what my modules will be shipped on to Russia.




This is a view of the city of Okpo.  Where you see the street end is also the other side of the city.

So the next few pictures are a view of the yard from waters edge.
The large crane you see floating is a sea crane.  These thing make the heaviest lifts in the world (not this one though, it is kind of week).   The lifts they can make are in the thousands of tons.

A closer look of the shipyard from up close.  You can see a blue building on the right, that is the engineering building.  The whole length of the shipyard is about a mile (but I haven't measured it).

View of the shipyard.

Yet another view.

 This is a floating dry dock.  It will submerge and a ship will steer into it.  When it is secured inside, the dock will ballast up and then they can work on the hull of the ship.

The spire in the distance is the location of the Okpo Great Victory Memorial.  I will visit there soon and tell you what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment