Over this last weekend, I got out of Geoje and went with some co-workers to visit some Buddhist temples nearby. I figured this was appropriate as May 10 is Buddha's birthday celebration here in Korea.
The two we visited are called Yonggungsan and Beomeosa. Yonggungsan is temple right on the coast and is a temple for the goddess of peace. Beomeosa is up in the mountians of Busan (and I am not sure for whom the temple is).
Overall, I think the countryside is gorgeous. The coast was great and the mountains spectacular. Enjoy the pictures!
Yonggungsan (영등사)
Outside of the temple (in the background) people build little towers of stone. By adding to the tower of stone you get to make a wish. Please give me a . . .
The paper lanterns are up for Buddha's birthday. I am sure this place looks amazing at night. You can see the goddesses statue in the top right of the picture.
More paper lanterns.
Name of the temple. This was the base of Buddha's statue.
Buddha.
The goddess of peace
View of the temple from the where the goddess statue is.
Pigs! I think pigs are good luck.
A view with me. This swastika in Buddhism is a religous symbol of eternity and "all is well."
Beomeosa (범어사)
My friends entering Beomeosa.
More paper lanterns
You can donate to the temple by buying and roof tile and writing on it.
| Picture of Buddha in a prayer room. |
I just thought the view from this temple was gorgeous. The green in Korea is superb.
A tile roof with weeds growing on it.
More natural beauty.
I would have build a temple here, too.
| Another entrance to Beomeosa temple. |
My friends walking through a tunnel of paper lanterns.
Again, beautiful.
Paper lanterns galore.
This is actually a stream. You can see the water at the bottom of the picture, but it has to run through all of these boulders. The sound was great and the place was so peaceful.
Random building at Beomeosa.

Awesome pictures. What a place.
ReplyDeleteThose colorful paper lanterns make everything look amazing! What a cool site.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like fantastic fun. Glad you enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI am in LOVE with those paper lanterns! What an amazing piece of the world :)
ReplyDelete