
As you all know, my job will eventually require that I either relocate or rotate. My assignment will probably be for about 2 years. Here are the definitions:
Relocate - Move residence to a completely new location. The work weeks are usually just like normal (5 days a week). Depending on where you live, you can get an uplift to your current salary. Families more than likely can accompany you or visit you.
Rotate - Usually a 4 and 4 or a 5 and 3. Meaning 5 weeks working at the location (usually 12 hour shifts for almost 7 days a week). At the end of the 5 weeks, you fly back to your home location (Houston, TX) and have 3 weeks off. All rotation gets a 45% uplift to your current salary. Family is strongly discouraged if not barred from visiting.
So here are some options and I want to see what everyone would do if they were me.
Nigeria - Relocation with 65% uplift
You get a lot of money. But, the weather is hot and humid. A major concern is security for expats (expatriates - those people residing outside their country of citizenship); there have been several kidnappings in the last few years. However, ExxonMobil does a really good job in providing security to its employees. Due to the security, I probably wouldn't be allowed to attend an LDS branch or ward.
Russia - 4 and 4 rotation
This is near Vladivostok. Cold weather. I can't even imagine how long the flight would be from Russia back to Houston, but at least I would get all of those frequent flyer miles. I could possibly find a church nearby.
Papua New Guinea - 5 and 3 rotation
Another jungle with heat and humidity. I also did a health study for this place and it wasn't too impressive. A lot of diseases, poor health care (if you had a mortal wound you are life flighted to Australia), and tons of snakes. But a lot of frequent flyer miles. Don't let me sway you:)
Probably no time and bad enough security to make it impossible to attend a ward/branch.
Iraq - (not much is known quite yet, but I bet it is a relocation to Dubai and then you fly up to the site. >75% uplift is what I expect).
Dubai would be a lot of fun to live in. Security is going to be a huge part of the project, so I figure they will probably go overboard.
Probably no church to attend in Iraq, but maybe an expat branch in Dubai.
Alaska - Relocation with 15% uplift
Based in Anchorage and flying up to the North Slope (inside the Arctic Circle) as needed to support the job. Could become a mini-rotation to and from Anchorage. Possible >-40 degrees during the winter at the work site.
Anchorage has a temple and a YSA ward to attend.
Calgary, Canada - Relocation to Calgary with a rotation to the work site (5 days on 2 days off, you just have to spend the 5 days in a camp). Uplift? Don't know.
Cold, but not as bad as Alaska. Finding a ward to attend wouldn't be hard and there is a temple.
Anyway, those are some quick facts. While I already have an idea of where I will be going, I want to hear from all of you what you would choose if you could (so if you know where I am possibly going, don't comment about that yet). Look on the side of my blog and vote!
So this is like a buffet, right? I'd choose the 75% uplift of Iraq, the fruit from Nigeria, the beaches of Papua New Guinea and live in Calgary.
ReplyDeleteHonestly... I'd love to live in Africa again, I think. That you don't get to go to church is a big deterrent, though... I'd say Alaska, but I hate the cold. I'm not sure which I would choose.
And it's good to see you finally expressing opinions representative of ExxonMobil. I like that you can speak for them.
It seems you saw my disclaimer then :) Just trying to follow company protocol.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'd pick Alaska or Canada. But that's cuz I'm a chicken and way too afraid to live in those other places. Papua New Guinea didn't sound too bad till you said snakes. Stick to N. America friend. Hello, church and temples. That's a big deal in my book.
ReplyDeleteI say live it up while you can and go somewhere out of the US. Cause once you have a wife and kiddies, I'm pretty sure she's going to put a serious kibosh on Iraq and Africa. (if your mom doesn't first. haha!) I would!! :)
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I also agree with Barbs about the temple and church bit. It would be really hard not to have those. Did you know you would be going to such dangerous places (or boring Wyoming. or was it Montana? Either way...)when you started working for Exxon?? Can't they have a plant in a safe country or something? :) Good luck with all the decisions!
My vote would be Russia. That might just be because I speak russian. You'd have church there at least. But, I think Iraq/Dubai would be awesome. Probably a once in a lifetime experience there.
ReplyDeleteSo what's the plan?
ReplyDeleteMy vote: Nigeria
I will give you guys a hint here in the next few weeks as to where I might be going.
ReplyDelete