Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lotte Giants Baseball and Haeundae Beach



For the first 2 weeks in August, DSME takes a small vacation in order to perform maintenance on the whole shipyard.  Work slowed considerably and at times it was almost a ghost town (with the exception of all the expats coming to work).



Due to this slow down, our project decided to take a trip and see the Lotte Giants (from Busan) play the Samsung Lions (from Daegu).  We left early on August 5th (Friday) to make it to the game.  When we arrived, the stadium was not yet filled, but by the end of the game it was sold out.  The stadium only holds about 28,000 people, but those people would cheer like crazy whenever a player connected with a pitch.  Mind you, it doesn't matter if the batter hit a pop fly, a bunt, etc.  The fact that he connected caused the crowd to go crazy.

Korean baseball had a few eccentricities.  The color of the diamond for example was fun to see.  Squid was sold by the food vendors walking the stands.  And they hand out plastic bags at the end of the game for 2 reasons: 1) to wear as rally caps, 2) so all patrons can pick up their own trash (which I don't think would ever work in the U.S.)




And just so you all understand how into the games these fans are, just watch this video.  I try to zoom in on the cheer leader that is running around on the other side of the field (but the quality of the zoom is poor).  But a guy in a Lotte Giants uniform runs and dances in front of the crowd to entice them to sing and cheer.

As part of the trip, a small group of us stayed in Busan to go visit the famous Haeundae beach and then go shop Costco the next day.  Now, we stayed right on the beach and when I looked out that morning, all I could see were beach umbrellas.  Koreans do not like being tan, at all.  They will do everything they can to avoid it.  So, going to the beach has nothing to do with laying out.

At this beach, we had to pay 5,000 Won for a spot under the umbrellas.  Behind me in the picture is a mat that is folded in half.  Your 5,000 Won buys you that size of an area under an umbrella for as much of the day as you want.

I was there with 2 of my co-workers and we enjoyed the surf that was out that day.  The waves were a lot of fun to use for some body surfing.






Oh, and I love CostCo.

9 comments:

  1. I didn't realize baseball was such a hit. I would go to baseball games in the US if our baseball games were such a hoot and sold squid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the bags got a total out loud laugh!! Thanks for demonstrating how they are supposed to be worn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the colorful umbrella city! Contrast that with some European beaches :) That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, on your map at the bottom of this blog, two things are a little deceptive: 1) It looks like you've been all over all of Russia. 2) Did you really "live" in Wyoming? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magoo---it's been forever!
    Did they do the 7th inning stretch with Take Me Out to the Ballgame? Did you get roasted peanuts? If not, it's not a real baseball game. Just sayin.
    Maybe I should visit to Korea---I'd fit right in with my complete lack of tan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide which made me laugh harder - squid by the foot or the plastic bag hats. :) Glad you are getting some downtime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lotte was my favorite team because they made the best snacks. Mmmm.

    I love roasted squid. It's better raw though. I hope you've tried some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matt, it isn't my fault that if you have been to one place in Russia, it counts the whole country. And second, I count that time in Wyoming as having lived there (even if I tried to never spend the weekend) :)

    Barb, the 7th inning stretch is actually all of the teams going to the outfield and stretching. But no "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (Unless it was in Korean with a different tune)

    Dan, I had squid once. . . and it shall remain that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the irony of the Russia map is the fact that I have been to Sakhalin (a part of Russia) but it isn't highlighted by selecting Russia, nor can I highlight Sakhalin by itself.

    ReplyDelete