Saturday, April 2, 2011
Korea Temple - Last week over March 26
Last week I got to go to the Seoul Temple! It was a little bit of a drive, but it was worth it despite the exhaustion. The members spend less then 10 hours actually in Seoul, so the majority of our time is spent traveling. Here is how my time was spent.
Friday 8 PM: Leave Geoje, pick-up 2 other members, and drive 1 hour to Jinju to catch the bus.
Friday 9:30 PM: Start bus ride that I cannot sleep on.
Saturday 1:45 AM: Arrive at the Seoul Temple and go to the guest house to sleep, but I couldn't actually sleep because I was sleeping on top of hard wood floors.
Saturday 3:30 AM: Go over to the temple and begin preparation to go do sealings (as a witness and a son)
Saturday 4:15 AM: Do sealings for 45 minutes
Saturday 5:15 AM: Begin first endowment session
Saturday 7:15 AM: Begin second endowment session
Saturday 9:30 AM: Go to distribution store
Saturday 10: AM: Leave temple and Seoul to go back to Geoje
Saturday 1 PM: Bus pit-stop and get lunch for a half-hour
Saturday 3:30 PM: Arrive in Jinju and start driving back to Geoje
Saturday 4:45 PM: Arrive home with no sleep.
I don't think that I have quite recovered from the trip. I can't sleep on buses, but the Koreans can. As for the guest house, I was anticipating some beds, etc. like the Switzerland temple had for patron housing. Not so. I walked into the building and they handed us blankets and I just had to find some room to lay down on wood floor and try sleeping. Again, for Koreans this wasn't hard and people were snoring within minutes. I was in the haze of being tired but unable to sleep.
I also over packed. I figured that we would change clothes and then go into the temple, or shower, something! But the Korean members wore their suits on the bus, slept in them, and then got right up and went to do a session. So I had a little bit too much stuff. But we did fill an entire bus of members from the most southern stake in Korea to go to the temple.
The guest house has the banner hanging out in front out in front, our bus is on the right, and the temple is behind the guest house and to the left a little. Directly to my left was the Distribution Center.
Overall, the temple was a great experience. It is good to receive the grounding effect of the temple. It helps to refocus my thoughts and my efforts.
Sadly, because of the distance between us and our stake, we didn't spend much time in Seoul. The city is huge and busy. In fact, as we left the temple, it quickly is hidden by several buildings. But I did get to see the Han River and one of the taller buildings in Seoul. Maybe Dustin will remember seeing this potion of Seoul? This is a picture looking South across the Han River while I was in the Bus. That is what I got to see.
Labels:
Korea
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow---that trip sounds kind of miserable! Not the being-in-the-temple part...that's awesome. But the traveling part. How come you started sealings so early? Really puts into perspective how lucky I am to drive five minutes whenever I want to go.
ReplyDeleteWe started sealings so early because everyone does two sessions before we leave. The only way to fit in sealings is to do them before the sessions.
ReplyDeleteThat is crazy but very cool. I am glad that you got to go even if you were exhausted. Just being in the temple that long is exhausting to me so if I was exhausted to beging with it would be a struggle to stay awake.
ReplyDeletewhat time does the temple open? i noticed you said you did sealings at 4:15!!
ReplyDelete(Christi)