I remember chatting with Matt a few months ago while I was in school about how great it would be to have a full time job. I mean, think of all the free time that you are you will have when you don't have anymore homework. Forget the possible commute you could have, or the desire to actually get some sleep because you have to be up at 6 am:) If someone ever tells you that you have more time after school, don't believe them. I feel like I have been lying to myself for a while now.
Do I enjoy Houston and my job so far? You bet I do. I just never feel like I have a lot of time.
When I got to Houston the heat wave had just ended, so I got the good weather. Is it humid? Almost unbearably so on some days. But I am just getting used to the fact that walking outside at night doesn't mean it will be refreshing. However, it is still in the upper 70s and even 80s here, so all you people back in Utah, I am sorry if you are cold.
As for my job, they are keeping me busy. I am working on a project in Nigeria and will actually travel soon. In fact, I spent a quick few thousand dollars today to book my flight to Nigeria in the next couple weeks. Oh, and I get to fly business class. Overall, the experience feels like drinking out of several fire hoses at once. There are so many acronyms at this place that they have an intranet site with most of the company acronyms. They are even like electrical engineers in having acronyms for a list of acronyms!
What is there to do in Houston? Eat. That is the only answer I get consistently. Now I understand why everything is bigger in Texas. There is some amazing food. Even the bill is bigger in Texas.
I just wanted to give you all a quick update on life. I know that it was short and lacking pictures. I apologize.
I think I felt the same whay once I graduated and had a real job. A full time job just means you are too tired to do anything after work! haha.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are having fun in Texas and liking your job!
Wow, I really do feel like I have a ton of free time... though I wish some of it were earlier in the day.
ReplyDeleteAnd I can't communicate the extent of my jealousy of your traveling to Africa. If you need a tall, skinny translator (no, I don't speak their language -- just roll with it) give me a call. Man, I miss that place.
Enjoy the firehose :)
Jas-I'm glad you're liking it out there. I can't believe you're traveling to Nigeria for work. It sounds so grown up of you...when did that happen?
ReplyDeleteIf you work full-time while going to school full-time, then yes, you do feel like you have more free time when you are no longer in school, because your work/school day no longer goes from 7am-9pm, it goes from 7am-5pm.
ReplyDeleteI know you wanted to say this but couldn't - so I'm saying it for you: Your paycheck is much, much bigger in Texas.
ReplyDeleteIf you want a lot of free time, enroll in a PhD program. I played tennis and squash for 4.5 hours today. I may take a nap now. It's tiring having all this free time...
i can't believe you get to go to Nigeria!!!!!!!!! ahhhhh
ReplyDeleteoh man, business class is AMAZING. i first tried duck on my business class flight to england. you will love it. and i hope you get some time while you are there to walk around, talk to some people, buy some cool stuff. if you are like my dad when he travels, he says he goes from the office to the hotel to the office to the airport. good luck! i'm so jealous :)
ReplyDeleteIt's good to hear how you're doing. Free time doesn't exist for a person who's doing something with his life. You're doing quite a lot. However, think how much less time you'll have to yourself when you get married and have kids. Then it's not just the free time that's out the window, just throw sleep right out with it! But, I know you're looking forward to that when it comes. And it will. I have no doubt about that.
ReplyDeleteoh, and if you take Matt to Africa, you'll have to take me too. I'd wager that we're both skinney enough to fit in just one of the business class seats. It would only cost you one extra ticket for 2 people! yeah?
Kevin Pyne
Nigeria! Cool! As an alternative to Dan's PhD suggestion, you could always go to medical school... Keep an eye on the domestic health care debate and throw some of that hard earned Texas cash at the lobbyists that are for physician reimbursement. Then someday maybe I can join you in business class...
ReplyDelete